Sunday, July 18, 2010

Diabetes-free

My 24-week appointment was last Tuesday and I figured I should blog about it before I forget the details. My regular doctor (who became such after he delivered Claire) just moved out of town, so at this appointment I saw my former regular doctor. I've always liked him although it does bug me that every time I see him he acts like we're meeting for the first time.

Anyway, all went well. The heartbeat was good and strong, 145 beats per minute. He is a very active baby, moving all the time, which I love. Claire was the same way.

One funny anecdote: The lovely and wonderful Melissa checked me in, and as we were doing weight, blood pressure, etc., we were both talking a mile a minute. A few minutes after she left me she came back and said, "What did we say your weight was?" I said, "Um, maybe 136? 138?" She said, "Well, why do they have in your chart that it was 150 last time?" I said, "I've never been 150 in my life!"

I went to reweigh. It was 136.8, which she rounded down to 136. That's what friends are for. A few minutes later she poked her head back in to say, "That was my bad -- I was looking at the fetal heart rate." If you know Melissa, the whole thing was hilarious.

This appointment was a week later than it should have been because we were at the beach last week, so I unexpectedly had to do the sugar test for gestational diabetes, which meant I was there an extra hour AND I had drunk two big glasses of sweet tea for lunch, immediately before the appointment. It isn't a fasting test, but still, I would have played it safe with water if I'd known. The test went fine, thankfully, and I'm glad it's out of the way.

I know people are starting to get impatient about K2's name and we're close, very close ... We actually have pretty much settled on his name, but the one we've chosen presents a dilemma, and deciding how to handle that is what's causing the announcement delay. We're close to closure on that secondary issue too, though. This probably sounds really vague and I will explain everything in detail soon! Don't worry, there's no real drama, just a lot of overthinking.

Next appointment is Aug. 11.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you and baby boy kirby are doing well. I look forward to the name announcement! You told me one of your favorites a while ago...I wonder if that's it. Guess I'll find out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suspense is killing me! (and I think it is time for an ultrasound and/or baby bump picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I definintely want a picture too and a name ASAP:)

    ReplyDelete