This afternoon I went to the chiropractor for what may or may not be a pregnancy-related hip issue. I've had occasional hip, knee and foot ailments for 15 years thanks to running Lord only knows how many miles in that time. Usually the pain gets better with new shoes, a few rest days, varying terrain, etc.
But about a year ago, actually, I had a pretty painful month or so with my SI joint caused by pregnancy hormones. I put off dealing with it for so long that by the time I finally hobbled to the chiropractor I missed several weeks of running as part of the treatment.
One day last week I went running and within a couple of hours I couldn't walk without bad pain in my left hip. Although the location was different from last year's issue, it was the same kind of pain, and I decided (or should I say Matt decided) that I shouldn't procrastinate like that again. Especially since I was cured pretty much as soon as I finally went to the chiropractor last year.
It turns out the SI joint is to blame again, even though the pain is appearing in a different spot. It's kind of surprising that this is happening at 14 weeks when it didn't flare up until my third trimester last time, but I know my core is much weaker this time -- I'm not doing CrossFit, only running. That's probably a factor. Also, everything seems to be happening earlier this time (baby bump, hello).
In my opinion, the chiropractor is well worth the specialist copay ($40). I'm all adjusted and since the inflammation is much less severe than last time I don't have to take a break from running. I'm going to try to be diligent about stretching (something that has always seemed like too much trouble) and with any luck this will be the most SI joint trouble I have this pregnancy.
But about a year ago, actually, I had a pretty painful month or so with my SI joint caused by pregnancy hormones. I put off dealing with it for so long that by the time I finally hobbled to the chiropractor I missed several weeks of running as part of the treatment.
One day last week I went running and within a couple of hours I couldn't walk without bad pain in my left hip. Although the location was different from last year's issue, it was the same kind of pain, and I decided (or should I say Matt decided) that I shouldn't procrastinate like that again. Especially since I was cured pretty much as soon as I finally went to the chiropractor last year.
It turns out the SI joint is to blame again, even though the pain is appearing in a different spot. It's kind of surprising that this is happening at 14 weeks when it didn't flare up until my third trimester last time, but I know my core is much weaker this time -- I'm not doing CrossFit, only running. That's probably a factor. Also, everything seems to be happening earlier this time (baby bump, hello).
In my opinion, the chiropractor is well worth the specialist copay ($40). I'm all adjusted and since the inflammation is much less severe than last time I don't have to take a break from running. I'm going to try to be diligent about stretching (something that has always seemed like too much trouble) and with any luck this will be the most SI joint trouble I have this pregnancy.
We need to get together and run in Rassie Wicker! Maybe you'll take it a little slower for me know! haha! ;) Or, we could just go to lunch... either way, let's hang out soon!
ReplyDeleteisn't it time for a baby bump picture? I'm sure it's miniscule (sp?) compared to what my Eli bump was). :) Miss you! Enjoyed your latest blog posts....
ReplyDelete